Apr 8, 2012

Poetry Month: T.S Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

In thinking about a poem to kick off my celebrations of National Poetry Month with, the first one that popped immediately to mind was T.S. Eliot's The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, as it is my favourite poem of his, although most I guess prefer The Wasteland, at the very least in an academic/ literary achievement sort of sense. The Wasteland is a poem you can get lost in interpreting and peeling back layers, but Prufrock is a poem that really speaks to me for a lot of reasons. The cadences, and the way the words are strung together really sticks with me and pops into my head, along with certain lines and passages that have really spoken to me at certain points in my life, similarly I guess to how the lyrics from a song can. I even drew something a few years back to capture one of my favourite lines (I've shared this before, but I'll share it again)


In case you can't read it easily, the line is:

"And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall,
Then how should I begin to spit out the butt ends of my days and ways?
And how should I presume?"

I found a few other renderings of my favourite lines in different artistic mediums that I wanted to share with you as well, to show the many different ways that you can capture a favourite line of a poem.

" I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"
source 

"Do I dare disturb the universe? In a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse." 

source


"Do I dare to eat a peach?"
source
There is also something about anything actually typed out on a typewriter which I love:


Have you ever done a piece of art or taken a photo to capture your favourite poem or lyric from a song? I'd love to see it --please include a link in the comments if you'd like. I'm thinking I might be working on a few projects in this vein sometime soon!

♥ Craftzilla

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment love! I love to hear from you and I hope you come back to visit often. I'd love it if you left me a link to your blog so I can visit you back!