Jan 11, 2012

Mending - A Lost Art?

Confession: Today, I had to mend or sew four things to get dressed.

Does this not seem silly? I mean, I can sew, I make things all the time, so how is it that my clothes are all not in perfect repair all the time?

The Answer: The mending pile. It grows. It towers over all living beings. It is difficult to tackle and let's face it, it's much easier to get inspired to sew a pretty purse than to fix some holey jeans or mend some ripped socks, and mending clothes and darning socks is often not done these days. How many of you have seen clothes at the thrift store with the most superficial of undone seams or tiny rips that can be easily mended?

So, I've decided  it's time for me to get some mending done, so I looked around for some mending inspiration to help me tackle my giant mending pile, as well as get some new ideas about how to mend different kinds of clothes.

 This mending tutorial is pretty helpful--is a good visual step  by step of the darning process which seems to usually be used for socks and knits, but could  have other applications as well.


Such a creative fix for this rip!



This will definitely help some of my ripped jeans to last a bit longer!



So very adorable:)



Good visual of sock darning



I love both of these ideas--I have a much loved sparkly blue hoodie that might get a similar treatment.

Source: us.asos.com via Gillian on Pinterest










I hope this post inspired you to tackle your mending pile! I know I'm inspired to tackle my growing pile now, so hopefully I'll be a little faster getting ready to go out in the near future!

♥ Craftzilla

10 comments:

  1. I love lost arts & have always wondered how to darn socks. Thanks for sharing these. I'll be pinning so that I can remember to mend instead of just toss in a pile that is waiting to either be trashed or saved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, glad you will get some use out of it! I'd always wondered too, and tried it last year sometime based on a post by someone else. It was surprisingly easy!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Those are a good collection of inspiring mending shots: mending seems like such a mountain to tackle, but these make it seem achievable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That was sort of the thing I'm trying to trick myself into hehe...the mending pile is currently out of control!

      Delete
  3. I've been trying to mend more things around here too. Those are some great ideas you have there. Makes me want to go grab our pile and get started! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, glad to have inspired you! Pinterest is so great for finding lots of ideas to help when you get an idea in your head to do something:)

      Delete
  4. I'm impressed by your mending! I do mend a bit, but have to admit I have a mend pile and have not been doing much with it . . . for months. One thing I never mend are jeans knees - once they're gone, they're gone it deems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I wish this was my mending! This is just my inspiration from other people to tackle my giant mending pile:) I'm trying to get the pile decreased, as I have nothing to wear!

      Delete
  5. Such cute patches! Unfortunately for me, my mending pile is for my husband, and I don't know if he would forgive me for stars, hearts or flowers on his jeans! Here's to hoping something of mine rips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm yeah, the husband might not like the stars or flower jean patches, it's true. Maybe more trucks or manly things :P

      Delete

Thanks for the comment love! I love to hear from you and I hope you come back to visit often. I'd love it if you left me a link to your blog so I can visit you back!