Feb 25, 2013

Taking Time for Myself


I finally followed some of my own advice related to self care,  and took some time for myself this past week. Given everything that's been going on with my family, work and school, I have definitely been feeling very over-worked, over-tired and under-happy. Just taking a little bit of time to connect with people and do a few things I love has made all the difference, and has made me better able to focus on all of the things  have to do.

Here's how I took care of myself this week:

I got my hair cut 
I got it cut  super short and I'm loving it so far. I  hadn't gotten a hair cut in about 8 months, just from feeling too busy and taking an hour to get pampered a little bit was very energizing. Pictures to come soon!

I took a day where I did absolutely nothing for work or school. 
What is Family Day for but to spend time with family? It was also the first chance the boy and I had time to spend together for Valentines or our anniversary, so we cuddled up, watched the Princess Bride on TV and ate a giant plate of s'mores. Heavenly.

I  went out to dinner with the boy 
It was our four year anniversary this past week, and although we didn't go anywhere too fancy (Wendy's) and it was a bit of a late night for me given an early morning wake up the next day, it was totally worth it to go out somewhere in public and get a chance to talk and connect. Isn't it funny how you can live with someone and see them every day, but sometimes you can go awhile without getting to really talk? We both definitely need to take more time to spend together talking, and not just at moments of crisis or extreme upset.

Took time for gratitude.
My grandma is doing a lot better in the last few weeks. They're actually moving her out of palliative care and into a nursing home. I've been taking time to give thanks that she will get at least a few more months of life, in a more comfortable place than in the hospital. The prognosis for her cancer hasn't changed, but there is more positivity for her quality of life, which I am very grateful for.

I took some time for friends. 
While I was waiting to get my haircut, I stopped by my beloved yarn store to see some of my awesome knitting friends. It had been months and months since I'd stopped in to have a tea and a chat. I didn't even have any knitting with me, but it was still great to catch up!

I took some time for crafting. 
I started a makeover on some lamps I got for $20 off Kijiji. So far I've recovered one of the shades and I'm pleased with the results. Once I finish covering the second shade and paint the bases of the lamps, I'll be ready to share the transformation!

I went on a dog walk with friends
I took a few hours yesterday to go on a dog walk with two fellow dog owner friends. The pups romped and played and had a great time, and so did we! I hadn't really realized how few longer dog walks I've gone on this winter due to lack of time, icy conditions around my place and annoying things, like plantar fasciitis in one of the arches of my feet which has been making walking anywhere sort of  painful. The walk was good for both me and the pup though -- he was actually tired out for once and had adorable naps on the couch.

So, the next time any of you hear me say that I don't have time for anything fun, please remind me of this post and the benefit that taking even just an hour or two doing something fun can have on your outlook on life!

♥ Craftzilla 

2 comments:

  1. This is a lovely list Gilli... glad you made the time to take the time.. to enjoy the present!
    Great ideas.
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's funny how you can get so caught up in just getting through the day or getting to some future point sometimes...that you forget to enjoy the present. I think in my case, it's just an overloaded plate as well!

      Delete

Thanks for the comment love! I love to hear from you and I hope you come back to visit often. I'd love it if you left me a link to your blog so I can visit you back!