Sep 11, 2012

Risks Worth Taking

Today I'm linking up with the Maven Circle and Truthy Tuesday, to talk about risks that are worth taking. To  link up and see a list of future topics, click here.



I've never been one to take many risks. I'm more the type to weigh decisions too carefully, until the moment has passed and the decision is no longer there to make. I'm that girl who considers everyone's feelings and all possible outcomes instead of going with my gut, and regrets that moment where everything could have changed and didn't, goes over in my dreams how some things in life would have gone a completely different way if I'd thrown even that one ounce of caution to the wind.

Then there are the risks I took that were stupid ones, that left me alone in alleys at night, without my wits when I needed all of them about me, that left me faced with impossible decisions with only heartbreaking solutions, one way or the other.

But then there were the  risks that made it all worth it: the risk taken to pursue that job or move or relationship that was risky or far away or unsure in the hopes that it will be worth it in the end, that you will find new skills and community and happiness that never would have been possible if you hadn't just closed your eyes and jumped in head first while trying not to recall that time at camp you did so at the top of an actual cliff and it resulted in the most epic bellyflop of the summer, because even that was worth it really - no one had ever named a dive after you before, and the Gillyflop was exceedly catchy in it's bruised hilarity. 

If not for taking some risks,  I wouldn't live where I live, wouldn't be back in school again, wouldn't be in the relationship I am and I wouldn't even be talking about this on this blog. These are the risks that I  never regretted taking, that remind me that good things can come of taking risks when  lack of confidence or other people's voices in my head try to drown me out and keep me paralyzed. Above all, I took a chance and know what the the outcome is --I never have to wonder "what if" or "I wish I had done that" and this sense of knowing is a lot easier to live with at the end of the day, even if I had to some fear and hardship to know. 

♥ Craftzilla

4 comments:

  1. Hi Gillian, yes, I can totally relate to what you are talking about. The gut reflex when confronted with a risk is often, "No, thank you." And yet, we are all taking risks everyday. That's why we wanted to talk about this subject to encourage and support ourselves through our risks, collectively. Thanks for participating in Truthy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with more of that kind of support, people would be more willing to get out of their comfort zone too --it's often that feeling of being totally alone and facing things without backup that's the hardest part!

      Delete
  2. "I never have to wonder "what if" or "I wish I had done that" and this sense of knowing is a lot easier to live with at the end of the day, even if I had to some fear and hardship to know."

    ...that sums it all up, I think. Best defense of the risk. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady, I'm glad I'm not just muttering gibberish here:) Glad to inspire!

      Delete

Thanks for the comment love! I love to hear from you and I hope you come back to visit often. I'd love it if you left me a link to your blog so I can visit you back!