Sep 8, 2012

Apartment Update: Custom Shower Curtain

Shower curtain

I was inspired my my friend Shawna's awesome shower curtain to make one of my own for the claw foot tub in our apartment, rather than suffering through a bunch of shower curtains hung haphazardly around the shower.  So I headed to the fabric store, and ended up settling on this yellow striped outdoor fabric, and some brushed metal grommets.

In order to figure out how much fabric I needed, I measured the length from the top of the tub to the shower rod, as well as assuming that I needed the coverage of two regular shower curtains, which usually measure 70 inches by 70 inches. So, I ended up getting 6 yards of fabric that had a width of 54 inches.

Shower curtain 2

I think it turned out pretty well, and my downstairs neighbour didn't even come upstairs to yell at me after I spent an hour banging the grommets into the fabric with a grommet tool and a hammer. I count this a great success, don't you?

Shower curtain 3

I think I also solved one of the problems we were having with the tub as a shower, namely this weird hanging down piece of wood that the shower caddy is screwed onto, and the awkwardness of having a shower curtain close properly around it. I ended up making the shower curtain in two pieces--a smaller piece to deal with this section of the shower, and a double wide piece for the rest of the shower. I'm looking forward to a lot more showers and a lot less water sprayed everywhere!


♥ Craftzilla

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I don't have a blog but I'm having trouble with the shower caddy in my claw foot. I saw what you have going on with the screws. Did you do that or did some else? What pieces do you have going on there?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love! I love to hear from you and I hope you come back to visit often. I'd love it if you left me a link to your blog so I can visit you back!