Jan 17, 2013

Thoughts on Not Getting Ahead of Myself


I'm always that person who wants to get to the end of things. Who doesn't mind working hard to get there, but if there's something to be done to speed up the process, I'd rather do it and suffer a lack of sleep in the short term to just get finished.

I'd rather have ten projects on the go than one project to focus on most days, to keep myself interested and occupied. Otherwise I can get bored. I can have trouble focusing. I  can tend towards procrastinating.

I don't take it well when there isn't a way to speed up things, or when the powering through process lasts longer than I'd like. School is dragging on, work is dragging on, and I'm at that point where I'm just looking for the light at the end of the tunnel,  which realistically probably won't arrive until December at the earliest.

I guess part of it is that I feel like I need to be finished school in order to have actually accomplished anything.  I get stuck on the idea that the only way to get ahead is to decide to do something, do it and finish it. I forget about the importance of the process, and the fact that it's a feat that I got started on this path at all. Second degrees and career changes are not in the cards for everyone, and goodness knows, it's been hard going for me at many, many points.

So I'm going to take a step back, relax and remember these words from Mark Twain: "The secret to getting ahead is getting started" and realize that I've already come further than I thought I had.

The secret for me seems to be to reflect on some of my progress every once in awhile, and remember how far I've come.

Any tips for not getting discouraged when you're working towards a large goal?

♥ Craftzilla

source

2 comments:

  1. Tips? Break the big ones down into smaller goals & check them off as you go. I don't know about you, but I always feel better seeing a long list of things checked off on my 'to do' lists!

    There are tons of things I want to do, but that just causes me to get overwhelmed looking at the lists upon lists of things. So I've found this cool iPhone app Everest that can let you list goals, steps, notes & all that. The great part is you can choose 3 to focus on at a time, which is a lot more manageable than 100. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess my issue is more having things so far apart for school to check off! i think I just need to power through and check off some of my more short term goals as I go. Maybe that will make it feel like I'm accomplishing more!

      I have only briefly looked at Everest before, but maybe I should give it another go! Thanks for the recommendation and for being an awesome friend!

      xx Gillian

      Delete

Thanks for the comment love! I love to hear from you and I hope you come back to visit often. I'd love it if you left me a link to your blog so I can visit you back!