Oct 2, 2011

Things I Made and Saw: Culture Days -Handmade Nation and Printmaking Studio Tour

It was a lovely weekend, full of crafts and attending some events that were on for Culture Days

First off, I taught my first sock class at All Strung Out, which I feel went pretty well. I worked on a bit of a slipper sock that I was making up the pattern for--I think it looks pretty cute so far, although one of us stepped on the bag when it was in the hallway, and my plastic needles snapped in a bunch of pieces! Boo!

Last night, I went to see a screening of Handmade Nation as part of Culture Days, which I'd somehow never seen before, since I kept missing all the screenings in Toronto when it first came out. It was a really interesting doc, and really summed up well the ways that people have started to reclaim crafting and run small businesses in the face of recessions and job losses. 




If you haven't seen this documentary, I greatly recommend it! For some more info, check out the trailer here , buy the DVD here. I am now severely inspired to quit everything and be just an indie craft business owner :P

Today I went and checked out a studio tour event that was also part of Culture Days, that was in the same building as my studio. I got to try my hand at some screenprinting, and met another crafty Gillian ! I also took some shots of their studio space, since it made me drool a lot (and was much warmer than mine!)

DSCF3867

DSCF3871

DSCF3872

DSCF3873

DSCF3874

DSCF3877

DSCF3878

DSCF3879

DSCF3869

DSCF3870

DSCF3875

DSCF3880

Here's what I screen-printed!

DSCF3882

DSCF3868

DSCF3881

All in all, it was a fun tour, and a great weekend! I was also up to some sewing and crafting of my own, which I'll share with you tomorrow!

♥ Craftzilla

PS. Check out some new and returning sponsors on the sidebar!  Lovely to have you all!

2 comments:

  1. I still haven't gotten to see Handmade Nation, but have wanted to for a while now. After hearing your thoughts, guess I need to get my hands on it soon...it might be the extra push I need to make bigger 'baby steps'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @apockylypse Good good! Yeah it was pretty inspiring I think, good for a bit of a push:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love! I love to hear from you and I hope you come back to visit often. I'd love it if you left me a link to your blog so I can visit you back!